Hulawa Island is better known as the Pulau Lampu (Island of Lights). The nickname Pulau Lampu was given because there is a beacon or lighthouse there. This beacon tower building was built by the Dutch around 1917. This beacon tower serves as a sign for ships going in and out of Kwandang Harbor.

Beacon Tower

Figure 1. (Photo: Intan Manyoe/JTG).

This beacon serves as a daytime sign, so that it can be seen by the captain of the ship. In addition to the daytime sign, there were also places where lamps were installed, made of bricks with cement and sand, totaling 10 pieces. The former place of this lamp is located parallel to the beacon tower. There is an inscription of H.J.Theys on one of the lamp holders.


Return to Cultural Heritages